Thursday 4 January 2007

Penny for the Guys...!!!

Hey wasn't this a bright and sunny day in our childhood days. Paddy ( The soave guy on the left ) my elder brother must have made his "first communion" that morning. I am next to him squinting because of the sun in my eyes. You know what?....... I still like those kinds of cardigans and I can't help but notice that my legs were a lot better back then.
The really dapper guy in the foreground with the voluminous shorts is Barry my younger brother - he was always a cute toddler, though I can't ever remember that his hair was that shiney!!

I think the guy behind my brother Paddy was Michael our next door neighbour and I can't really identify anyone else.
My sister ( in law ) Bridie, who is Paddy's lovely wife and partner gave me this photo either the last time I saw her or the time before that. I think she discovered it when she was probably at the old homestead going though old photos with my mother, Anne Louise, who has now passed away.

I would imagine that it was a lovely day for her too, a rare day of celebration in a life that was a constant struggle. Paddy must have been about 7 or 8 at the time, I must have been about 4 or 5 and Barry must have been about 2 years old. We all look quite different now.

There are very few photos of us from our childhood so this is something to treasure. People nowadays, well for quite a few years now. take loads and loads of photos of their kids and their lives but back then it was quite common that you would go to a photographers studio.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Aine,
    Thanks for your message about my blog-site and art. Funny you should mention Louise Bourgeois, I do really like a lot of her work and I think in some of your latest prints I can see an affinity with some of her work too. I really like your series of prints and esp. the one you call The healing chamber. Made me think of archetypes and visions, a kind of dreamspace where real things happen. I too am interested in themes of transformation, and of metamorphosis, a subject that has been in my artwork for many years and that I keep coming back too.
    Am really enjoying meeting other artists through the blog. Nice to meet you!
    Spring greetings,
    Marion

    ReplyDelete

Hi there
Its always good to have a response to posts and if you'd like to,
sign up to receive my bi monthly newsletter..................................
The link to it is on the horizontal navigation bar at the top of the blog.