The idea or should I say 'brief' for this project was that we would somehow 'transform' it by means of our own interventions with ideas / art materials and so on, and so forth.
When it arrived in the post and I looked at it I remember tossing it aside and thinking oh my gawd I can't work with that horror !!
I considered not bothering to do it at all as I had so many things on my plate ( for a change!!) but then thought no - I have made a professional commitment and I should at the very least have a go at it. If I then find that I really can't find a way to work with it - then I will withdraw.
Eventually managed to find instructions online and my clever friend Tatiana, who dropped round with her 5 year old son ( who loves all robot related matter) put it together for me in no time.
So there it stood on my work surface as a 3d cardboard robot and unfortunately I just didn't like the thing. I imagine if I had - I might have given it a name. So for now it was just the "thing".
So I settled on a layout of sorts and stuck the pieces down onto some mill board. I varnished it, back and front, and then proofed it but realized much to my annoyance (with myself) that of course the pieces were too raised up from the base plate. It was a big plate and had taken me quite a while, to ink up - so I thought "oh what the heck - it's a unique piece of work I can just keep working on it 'as is' ".
Loved this little image with the jaguar warrior suit, I came across too. I seem to remember that these were the items that were placed in the burial site with the Aztec warriors and Lords. A bit similar to the way the Ancient Egyptians "packed for the journey". Mind you the Chinese did it in even more of a 'big way' as in, when you consider the guy who had the Terracotta army created to accompany him to the afterlife - to ensure nobody tried to push him around. Talk about being paranoid .......or maybe just O.T.T.
So that's what I did - I collaged it a little and also worked onto it using my trusty Carbothello pastel pencils (water soluble). I got there in the end using five of the pieces from the pack. I specifically wanted it to be a 'fold-out' print too so that it was like some map or thing that would be put into a pocket. Hence the folds.
Museu Brasileiro da Escultura M.U.B.E.
Betty Esperanza's short Video made as part of making her Troyart piece.
There were about 300 pieces in total in this exhibition and I just could not select just one or two
pieces to include in this post - best to have a look at the project blog.
Troyart Blog http://toymube.blogspot.com/